- Has a relevant degree in Mechanical Building Services Engineering, or equivalent qualification or sufficient experience
Developing skills, knowledge, and experience
Taking the initiative in developing self and career; continuously assessing own abilities and aspirations, and evaluates them against suitable development and career opportunities within Black & White; fostering the long-term learning and development of others, and has a focus on the development intent and effect rather than on the formal role of training; striving to advance technical skills which differentiate Black & White from competitors; and demonstrating skill and technical competence in the discipline.
- Is able to state own career aspirations
- Knows where to find available data or who to ask for it
- Seeks experience for a broad range of tasks and activities e.g., types of work, different customers or clients
- Identifies own training and development needs and ways to meet them
- Working towards a professional qualification or certification, if one exists for the individual’s profession in the location
- Takes advantage of formal and informal development opportunities
- Developing skills in relevant software
- Seeks out and adopts best practices by consulting with others in the profession to establish what works elsewhere
- Shares knowledge with others e.g., volunteers to share information to the team, participates in Technical Committee and/or knowledge forums
- Takes an interest in issues associated with relevant industries
Planning and Organising
Identifying objectives clearly, planning actions, allocating tasks, and monitoring progress; coordinating with and informing others as necessary; having the ability to juggle different conflicting demands and priorities; and ensuring delivery is planned to include sufficient time for QA or QC.
- Adopts simplicity in approach to problems and solutions
- Demonstrates a clear understanding of objectives set by others
- Breaks down tasks and simplifies them
- Knows when to ask for extra help
- Looks ahead for problems
- Prioritises own workload on a day-to-day basis
- Works within time constraints
- Organises information effectively e.g., filing systems, diaries, schedules, etc.
- Uses appropriate tools effectively
- Has a structured approach to activities
Thinking and Decision Making
Analytical, creative, and conceptual thinking; the ability to evaluate options, consider the consequences and implications, reach conclusions, and make recommendations and decisions.
- Follows well-defined procedures
- Uses established practices
- Finds ways around problems and offers solutions
- Collects information, canvasses opinion, and weighs up alternatives to make decisions
- Quickly responds to the most critical issues and uses them to suggest new solutions
- Constructively criticises own ideas and those of others, making them as better ideas and shares them with others
- Decides if a specialist’s advice is needed to complete a task
Commercial Awareness and Acumen
Understanding the importance of financial success and the willingness or ability to act in the interest of achieving it; negotiating the best terms for Black & White; and managing legal and contractual aspects.
- Manages own time and activities
- Takes cost and time implications into account before acting
- Manages time to keep within agreed budgets
- Makes efficient use of Black & White’s resources e.g., recycles, saves energy, avoids waste, etc.
Building Customer/Client Relationships
The desire to delight customers (may be other individuals or offices within Black & White) by concentrating on discovering, understanding, and satisfying needs; networking, bringing people, opportunities, and activities together; and arranging win/win solutions.
- Acts with integrity, is straight-talking, respectful, and fair
- Gains a good understanding of customer needs early on
- Adopts a communication style and medium (face-to-face, e-mail, etc.) appropriate to the message and the intended audience
- Polite, open, honest, and fair, even when handling differences of opinion or approach
- Expresses opinions, listens to others, and takes on board their views
- Gets things done tactfully and diplomatically
- Can see things from another person’s point-of-view
- Delivers on commitments made
- Works effectively with others from different social or cultural backgrounds
- Gets to meet and collaborate with people within Black & White
Receiving, interpreting, and imparting information and ideas, both written and spoken, to a wide range of people, influencing others.
- Communicates and presents information in the most appropriate format e.g., graphically, verbally, email, face-to-face
- Confidently imparts information and confirms details
- Sets out information in a logical way
- Articulates and gives clear explanations e.g., of ideas, of job procedures to others, etc.
- Listens and asks in order to understand what is really required
- Checks and proofreads own written communication before passing it on or sending it out
- Keeps the team or Line Manager informed of any difficulties
Teamwork and Leadership
Working in a group in a complementary fashion, which when effective, produces a holistic solution; liaising and cooperating with others; and being aware of own and others’ strengths and weaknesses.
- Treats everyone with respect, irrespective of their level, background, gender, or discipline or profession
- Accountable for own actions and consequences
- Self-aware, understands their role in the team
- Judges the right time to ask for help and information
- Is supportive, showing others how to do things e.g., how to use equipment, machines, software, etc.
- Expresses own views but accepts compromises in the interests of the overall situation
- Relates to and works with people at all levels
- Looks beyond immediate concerns and seeks to improve the operations of the team
- Includes all members of the team in delivering the objectives, working effectively with other professionals, specialists, and support staff